Nordita, Stockholm, Sweden
In this workshop we plan to bring together theoretical high energy physicists who are specialised in string theory in a broad sense. The workshop will focus on four intertwined pillars:
Besides providing an opportunity to exchange knowledge on the most recent and outstanding developments in these fields, this workshop will be an opportunity to discuss bias, diversity and gender issues within this scientific community which largely affect women, as a yet underrepresented minority in these fields.
- String compactifications
- AdS/CFT and dualities
- Black holes
- Conformal field theories and symmetries
[Timetable - available from start of the conference]
We plan to have a schedule with morning sessions that start with a 1-hour review talk of the current status of the respective subjects (string compactifications, AdS/CFT dualities, black holes and conformal field theories ), followed by shorter invited as well as contributed talks on recent developments in the field. The schedule will also allow for discussions among participants.
Two sessions will focus on diversity and gender issues.
There will be talks given by experts of the field, followed by chaired discussion sessions.
Speakers include (tentative)
- Luis F. Alday, University of Oxford
- Lara Anderson, Virginia Tech
- Alice Bernamonti, University of Florence
- Matteo Bertolini, SISSA
- Alejandra Castro, University of Amsterdam
- Shira Chapman, University of Amsterdam
- Ulf Danielsson, Uppsala University
- Saskia Demulder, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Swansea University
- Oscar Dias, University of Southampton
- Roberto Emparan, ICREA and University of Barcelona
- Johanna Erdmenger, University Wuerzburg
- Valentina Forini, City, University of London
- Mariana Grana, IPhT
- Gianluca Grignani, University of Perugia
- Troels Harmark, NBI
- Veronika Hubeny, University of California, Davis
- Nissan Itzhaki, Tel Aviv University
- Niko Jokela, University of Helsinki
- Pete Jones, Sheffield UK
- Cynthia Keeler, Arizona State University
- Charlotte Kristjansen, NBI
- Madalena Lemos, CERN
- Yolanda Lozano, University of Oviedo
- Andy O'Bannon, University of Southampton
- Silvia Penati, University of Milano Bicocca
- Michela Petrini, LPTHE
- Helena Pettersson, Umeå University
- Andrea Puhm, CPHT, Ecole Polytechnique
- Maria Rodriguez, Utah State University and Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics Potsdam
- Minna Salminen Karlsson, Uppsala University
- Marika Taylor, University of Southampton
- Lárus Thorlacius, University of Iceland and Stockholm University
- Konstantin Zarembo, NORDITA
If you want to register/apply for participation in the conference, please fill in the registration form. Invited speakers are of course automatically approved, but need to register anyway.
Registration deadline: August 23, 2019
There is no registration fee.
A limited number of travel grants are available for PhD students and young Postdoc fellows. If you are interested in such a grant, please
mark the corresponding field in the application form, briefly summarize your
interest in the workshop in the comments field, and indicate an estimation of
your expected travel expenses.
Since only a limited number of grants is available, decision concerning the grants will be made on a case-by-case basis and you will be notified shortly after the application deadline.
Please be aware that unfortunately, scammers sometimes approach participants claiming to be able to provide accommodation and asking for credit card details. Please do not give this information to them. For successful applicants, Nordita will be in touch via email regarding accommodation. If you are in any doubt about the legitimacy of an approach, please get in contact with the organisers.