Nordita, Stockholm, Sweden
This programme is devoted to the discussion of the latest theoretical and experimental advances related to chiral magnetic phenomena and their relevance for plasma physics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, astrophysics and cosmology.
It has been understood in the recent years that systems of relativistic particles at high temperature or high density behave very differently from their non-relativistic counterparts. In particular, non-dissipative electric currents can flow in such systems. The origin of these currents is due to subtle quantum effects known as quantum anomalies, however, their topological property makes them important part of low-energy physics. Very broadly these phenomena can be compared to superfluidity or superconductivity, where, again, quantum effects change the macroscopic behavior of the system. These effects may be applicable to a wide range of phenomena from the early Universe, to heavy ion collisions, neutron stars, relativistic astrophysical systems, and new materials (Weyl semimetals).
This interdisciplinary program will bring together leading experts in all these fields.
Topics of the programme will include:
- Chiral magnetohydrodynamics (MHD), including theory of laminar and turbulent dynamos in chiral MHD and impact of chiral magnetic phenomena on waves in plasma.
- Direct numerical simulations of laminar and turbulent dynamos in chiral magnetohydrodynamics.
- Astrophysical and cosmological applications of chiral MHD: the early Universe, neutron stars, quark-gluon plasmas.
- Applications of chiral MHD to high-energy heavy ion collisions at RHIC and LHC.
- New materials with pseudo-relativistic electrons and chiral magnetic effect.
Slides from talks
More information will be available here later.
Nordita provides a limited number of rooms in the Stockholm apartment hotel BizApartments free of charge for accepted participants.
Please be aware that unfortunately, scammers sometimes approach participants claiming to be able to provide accommodation and asking for credit card details. Please do not give this information to them. For successful applicants, Nordita will be in touch via email regarding accommodation. If you are in any doubt about the legitimacy of an approach, please get in contact with the organisers.