The traditional Nordita one-week summer school in physics for students from the Nordic and Baltic countries will be organized this year in Danhostel Hillerød; Nordisk Lejrskole & Kursuscenter in Hillerød, a picturesque town north of Copenhagen, Denmark. The school aims at introducing frontier areas of physics research by world top scientists at a level understandable for undergraduate students, and also to stimulate further studies.
It gives a unique opportunity for students to learn the newest most exciting developments in theoretical physics and to work together with other Nordic/Baltic students.
The following five series of lectures, each of four hours, will be given. The lectures will be accompanied by group exercises and discussion sessions.
- Superoscillations and weak measurements - Michael Berry (Bristol)
- Galactic Magnetic Fields - Kandaswamy Subramanian (IUCAA, Pune)
- Gravitational Waves - Fawad Hassan (Stockholm University)
- Introduction to AdS/CFT - Blaise Goutéraux (Nordita)
- Applications of Renormalization Group to Condensed
Matter Problems - R. Shankar (Yale)
Download poster (PDF)
We hope that all participants will be able to arrive in time to eat dinner together at 18:00 on Saturday 12th.
On Friday 18th, there will be some guest lectures in the morning, and then departure will be after lunch.
Other details will be placed here as they are finalised.
Registration is now closed, and notification of acceptance has been sent.
Who may apply?
This master class is not open to Ph.D students. We particularly encourage female students to apply.
- be a master's or undergraduate student,
- study in the Nordic or Baltic region,
- have a background of three or more years of university studies in physics/mathematics, or corresponding studies at a technical university.
How to apply:
An application to the Nordita Master Class goes in two steps:
- Fill in the form
in the menu to the left
- Send your CV and a one-page cover letter stating why you want to attend the school as attachments to a mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents should be sent in pdf format.
Note that both steps must be completed by the deadline 1 June 2017.
Notifications of acceptance/rejection will be sent from Nordita within
few weeks after the application deadline.
How much does it cost?
The selected students (about 35) will participate free of charge. This includes traveling to and from Hillerød (cheapest tickets), housing and food in Hillerød.
The Nordita Master Class 2017 is organized by David Abergel and Dhrubaditya Mitra in collaboration with Nordita administrative staff.