Mayr versus Woese: Tempo and Mode in Genome Evolution
Wednesday 05 February 2014
to 16:00 at
Charles G Kurland (Dept. of Biology, Lund University)
The talk will cover the following aspects:
· Gene trees are not species trees. (Rokas).
· Woesian gene trees are probably artifacts (Philippe et al).
· Genome content of compact protein domains reconstructs species trees.
· A consensus species tree roots the three superkingdoms “realistically” ala Mayr.
· Akaryotes replace prokaryotes (Forterre).
· Consider a series of species trees, one seeding the other on Planet Earth.
Additional reading (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030090841300134X).
Host: Britt-Marie Sjöberg